Monday, November 28, 2011

Next 5

My friend Emma first introduced me to this exercise. It's a really great boarding challenge that helps train you to come up with entertaining ideas quickly.
The idea is you start with a random photo (Flickr is a good source for these) and you treat it like the first shot of a short film. Then you figure out what happens next, and board the next five shots; not the next five panels, but the next five unique shots. In the end you should have six drawings (including your starting image).
We're doing this exercise with our story trainees at the studio right now and i realized i'd never posted any of these here. This is one i did using this photo as a starting point.

(TECHNICALLY i cheated; i added a second panel for my first shot, so i've got seven drawings here)






13 comments:

Carrie Liao said...

This is such a neat idea! I've been looking for good exercises for boarding, I'm totally going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan Green said...

These are gorgeous. Great mood! Never tried this exercise, either. Probably should.

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Gorgeous!! And what a great exercise!

Carla Crittenden said...

Very touching! I love how you did the highlights! This exercise looks extremely helpful and fun. Might try it one day! :)

Gabeebees said...

thanks for this! =)i really like this idea and will definitely use this for me and the interns at our office thank you thank you =)

Sean McCormack said...

brilliant exercise!
I'm gonna give that a whirl

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! I have storyboard workshops this week from from tomorrow so this is great for me.

lostsailors said...

This is SUCH a cool idea from your friend! I might have to pimp this around.

Unknown said...

Awesome! I've always wanted to try my hand at story and this is a fantastic exercise. Thanks for sharing it and this awesome sequence

Anonymous said...

very good idea, thanks for posting it!

Quentin Lebegue said...

Awesome boards ! The lighting is beautiful.

Swellzombie said...

brilliant!!!

John Bosley said...

so awesome. inspires me to up my game a bit for the next #nextfive